I was just scrabbling about to find a spare notepad to write up some notes, when I stumbled on an old notepad with written notes on Hirsch’s ‘Why knowledge matters’ from a few years ago. I thought I’d transcribe them into bullet point format for the time-pressed among you. Let me know what you think.
- 3 bad ideas in education are: a) education should be about a child’s ‘natural development’, b) education should be personalised for each child, c) schools should focus on teaching generic skills
- Educators focus wrongly on teaching generic reading skills when in fact it is knowledge that needs to be taught so that children can actually understand the texts
- Reading test quality should improve, rather than focus so much on generic skills
- No point having a good pre-school if primary schools don’t focus on knowledge acquisition
- A common core curriculum for all primary…
View original post 536 more words