Name: James Murphy
Twitter name: @HoratioSpeaks
Subject taught (if applicable): English
What is your advice about? Student confrontations
- Keep the lesson uppermost in your mind. Don’t the student derail it (they probably hoped to).
- Remind the student that they should follow a reasonable instruction from a teacher and your instruction is reasonable. Repeat instruction calmly if necessary; keep repeating (and keep count).
- Be completely calm and in control of yourself and the lesson, even if you don’t feel it. You will find that acting is an essential part of your role, and one day you will have internalised this persona.
- Remove the student from the room using the school’s standard procedures, minimising their disruption. Get straight on with the lesson.
- Some students will try to get at you by insulting you personally or professionally (“You’re a useless teacher!”). Don’t ever take this on board – ever.