[by Phil Heath, Head of Biology]
Having just completed a course that qualifies me as an assessment lead (make of that what you will!), I thought it might be worth setting out some simple questions that I (should) now ask myself before assessing students. The idea is for you to comment or to criticise as you see fit.
- What is the purpose of the assessment? The answer that usually springs to mind is “to find out if they know x or understand y”. Not always though. Some other reasons to assess that I can think of are:
- To make them revisit some work and revise it.
- To make them recall so that they remember something better long term.
- To prepare students for public exams.
- To generate information for next year/term.
- To see if they have understood a particular topic or concept.
- To inform my future planning.
- To inform how I…
View original post 272 more words