This is a summary of the presentation from Maths Conf 9, held in Bristol on 11/3/2017. Thanks to everyone who came and who asked questions!
What is a drill?
A drill is narrow. It should be focused on a single thing, such as:
- Which fraction ‘rule’ to use for a mix of fraction operations (i.e. choose the rule, don’t complete the operation)
- Do I need to borrow? Write ‘B’ above each calculation where this is the case
- Will the answer be positive or negative? Write + or -, nothing more (a mix such as -2-6, 9-12, -4+8, etc)
- Times tables
- Expanding single brackets
- Simplifying indices
- Multiplying and dividing directed numbers
- Improving accuracy (and fine motor skills!)
- Multiplying and dividing by powers of 10 (e.g. practising simply ‘moving the point’ correctly!)
- Rounding (underlining to the correct digit, circling the correct digit)
- Recognising and deciding
- A drill to with a…
View original post 1,671 more words