In the spirit of clarity, here’s a list of some of the things I think about education:
- Getting behaviour right is the top priority for schools; when that’s cracked everything else will be possible. Until it’s cracked, nothing will work well.
- If children behave badly in your lesson, it’s not your fault. Although it is your responsibility.
- Students should enjoy learning, but enjoyment should not be our aim.
- If I’m any yardstick, we are often wrong about what’s right: to err is human. We must be ever vigilant of our extraordinary capacity for self-deception.
- Any policy predicated on the belief or expectation that teachers can or should work harder will fail.
Read more on The Learning Spy…