With the arrival of the “creative curriculum” and the idea that teachers need to hook children in to their learning, engage them in their learning and inspire them to want to learn, the school trip is fast becoming the holy grail.
- real life experiences ensure that children learn key skills
- getting out of the classroom inspires children
- getting out of the classroom inspires teachers
- children can write with real understanding of a subject
- children rarely forget a trip they have been on
These negative aspects do need serious consideration when planning a trip, but they should not be a reason to give up on the idea of taking children out of school for educational visits.
Together with my colleague Mairi, we created a vibrant KS1 curriculum which features plenty of enrichment opportunities for learning outside of the classroom. Part of our ethos is that we both like…
View original post 404 more words